Rules Engine is another feature of the Akeneo Enterprise Edition that makes managing your product information so much easier.
More specifically, Rules Engine lets you automate your enrichment processes. Easily classify products, copy attribute values, set default values and assign new families to products using this feature. This saves time when enriching products as you do not have to enter every field manually.
A rule in Akeneo is a set of actions and conditions that lets you automate data enrichment.
Examples of a rule:
If you need to set up multiple conditions to trigger an action, creating a rule can save a lot of time than having to do it manually. For example, if you’ve set the brand to Canon to all Canon camcorders that do not have a brand yet, you can create a rule like the one shown below:
- my product is in the Canon family
- my product attribute names contains the word Canon
- my brand attribute is empty
- set the value Canon in my product’s brand value
You can view the rules you have set up in Settings > Rules
When to use the rules engine feature
You can use the rules engine feature in a number of ways, including:
- Creating and storing enrichment rules that will be used to enrich a product if a certain condition is met. A user can define the conditions and the action to perform when the conditions are met.
- Viewing all the enrichment rules in the Settings/Rules section (as shown in image above).
- Calculating the number of products that will be affected by a certain rule. This is done in the Settings/Rules section by selecting a certain rule, and then simply clicking ‘calculate the affected products’.
- Creating single rules if bulk rules are not required.
- Creating multiple rules by simply importing yaml files where the rules are defined.
- Deleting single rules or several rules. To delete single rules, you can do this by clicking on the delete button at the end of each line in the grid. To delete a selection of rules, you need to select the rules you want to delete, then click the delete button.
What are the advantages of using the rules engine feature?
- Enrichment rules are executed automatically, which will speed up the product enrichment process.
- It easy to review and work with the Rules using the Settings/Rules section of the application.
- Creating multiple rules is very quick, and is as simple as importing a yaml file, or multiple yaml files.
- Automating part of the product enrichment can make the product enrichment process more manageable, and make any product enrichment projects more scalable.
If you would like to learn more about the Akeneo enterprise features, take a look at our ‘9 Key Features of Akeneo Enterprise Edition”blog.
As Akeneo PIM partners, iWeb can help you consolidate all of your data into one easy to use solution. Better product information means more purchases and fewer returns.
Contact us today for a consultation on how Akeneo PIM can help overhaul your product management.